Home Design Work Recognitions For Sale About Me

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Teacher gift sets


Add water to a cake pan and some
food coloring to soak the coffee filters in



Hi all! Just wanted to show you the older boys teacher gifts for the year. I have always done pencil bouquets and this year I did also, but I usually I make the flowers with die cut petals, like I did last year. You can see here. This year, I decided to do something a little different. I'd been seeing these tutorials online for making paper roses out of coffee filters. I dyed them in a cake pan with some yellow food coloring and water, when they were done, I added some pink food coloring to the centers of a few while still wet, and then let them dry.
Drying filters with pink color added


Close up on flower.
When they were dry, I folded each one into eighths and cut the bottom off and cut the folded piece into a petal shape (think half a heart) then I cut the top section with a wavy top. Then I opened them up and cut each ring into pieces, and started wrapping them around the pencil piece by piece, taping each one firmly to the pencil with scotch tape. When I was satisfied with the fullness of the roses, I wrapped some glittery paper trim around the base of the flowers to hide the tape. Then tied a ribbon around that and knotted it. For the other pencils, I created one large banner pencil with a scrap of paper and a big glittery sticker and I added a "one of a kind" sticker to that as well. The last 2 pencils, I tied scraps of ribbon around and tied a bow on the ribbon with some orange bakers twine. I added a big bow with button embellishment to the pail, which was from the dollar section at Target. I used M&M's in the pails to make the pencils stand up.




I wanted the cards to be the same color scheme, and I only had one teacher card left after giving all of Ev's teachers their cards. So I pulled some fun paper from a die-cut card pad and layered it up with some fun stamped scraps in a school theme. I embellished with some epoxy stickers, some large rick rack and another glittery flower sticker. These are large cards, 6" square. Not very traditional school colors, but I think they turned out pretty fun! :)

DON'T FORGET about the awesome SMASH book giveaway I have going on. The post is here to enter the drawing! :)

I hope you are having a great week!

-Noelle

supply list: Patterned paper/die cut paper: K&Company; stamps: Unity and Stampin' Up!; flower stickers and "one of a kind" stickers: K&Company; epoxy stickers: Sticko; Ribbon and rick rack: Ribbon Boutique by Hobby Lobby; circle punch: EK Success; library clips: Stampin' Up!; green gems: Martha Stewart Crafts; green flowered ribbon: American Crafts; orange bakers twine: Jillibean Soup; buttons: Stampin' Up!; green glittered paper trim: K&Company; coffee filters, food colors

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too cute, Noelle! Your kids teachers are going to love these! Is there a problem on my comments? I just tried and mine went through, both of yours did. Let me know.
Are you anxiously waiting until midnight?
Sylvia