Home Design Work Recognitions For Sale About Me

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Famous American/John Glenn scrapbook layout (CQC171)


Hi all! Happy Back-to-School this week! I love my kids, but I am always glad to see them go back after a break! ;) Especially this one, with Christmas falling so early in the break, it left a bit too much time for brother squabbling! We did go to the mountains over the weekend, though. I didn't start getting altitude sickness until the last day, either, so I had a better time than I normally do. I have lived in CO for over 25 years and I have never gotten used to the altitude, it really can mess me up. So glad I only live a mile high, and not 2 miles high! ;)






I was really excited over this palette for this week's ColourQ challenge. Such a great BOY palette, dontcha think? Even though it's not my scrap week (I usually do a card on odd-numbered challenges) I couldn't pass this one up. It was just too perfect for a boy page.




I had these photos that are almost 2 years old. Our school's 2nd grade does a "Famous American" project every year. The kids pick a famous American, researches them, makes a board about them, dresses like them, and each child performs a one-two minute monologue that they have prepared about the historical figure. They have parents milling about the whole second grade wing, and when they stop at any child, they stand up and perform, so they end up doing their speech at least 20-30 times that evening. It's kind of a big deal!


Anyway, bad mom that I am, when Ian and Collin each hit the 2nd grade, I told them that they HAD to pick an astronaut. Because we already have the costume, and I know, I know, that is terrible of me. But when you have 3 kids, a couple part-time jobs, multiple volunteering things you do, etc. you sometimes get strict about certain things. In my book, they both are interested in the space program anyway, they always have been... (hence the reason we have an astronaut costume to begin with!) So why NOT pick an astronaut and make life easier on Mom? Anyway, a couple years ago, I did a page of Ian as Neil Armstrong wearing this same costume. And, give it a few more years.... you just might see Ev in it! ha!




I have been hoarding this huge amount of October Afternoon Rocket Age. I had used a little bit on the boys Science Fair pages and also on this card. But when it came out, I bought pretty much everything (it's SO rare that I do buy a whole collection like that, but this was just too too cute for boys!), and two of some things, so I still have a lot left. I was glad to see that there were a lot of papers and things that would coordinate with the navy and yellow, because initially I was thinking the collection had a lot of red in it. It does, but there are several papers and embellies that are just navy and yellow, so that worked well.

I used this old sketch I found on Pinterest for my jumping off point, I think it's supposed to be a Christmas sketch, but I switched the hanging ornaments up to be hanging planets and rockets. I left the chipboard embellishments "raw" in keeping with the kraft in the color scheme.

I used some ephemera behind the photo on the RH page, instead of putting the journaling there.


The title block was fun, there was a paper with big concentric circles on it, and it worked great in place of the "ring" element on the sketch.

I used the Basic Gray color to mat my photos on, pretty much all the accents are OA, except the alphabet stickers.



Hope you can come play with us at the ColourQ this week!

hugs, Noelle


No comments: