Home Design Work Recognitions For Sale About Me

Friday, June 1, 2012

Using a Gift Bag as Inspiration



It has been said that the life of a designer is the fight against ugliness.... This at least helps me feel better as to why I really need everything to look pretty. My very favorite things are both attractive and functional. Things that match, or coordinate, are another favorite. As such, I often try to coordinate a card to a gift bag, box, wrapping paper, or even at times to the gift itself! Last week, I was getting ready for Ev's last day at the sitter's. His babysitter also happens to be a good friend of mine! She is in my book group, our kids have been in preschool together the last 2 years, and we hang out when possible. She is also expecting a baby! I am really excited to meet the baby girl she's having later this summer. :) Anyway, with summer right around the corner, I don't need a sitter for only Ev, and she is getting ready for her baby to arrive. So, I decided since it was his last "official" day over there, that we should take her a little giftie :)


I know she has one of these Cool Gear tumblers with the freezer gel, and I personally am completely hooked on these cups! My hubby loves them, too! We have a Keurig brewer that we make most of our iced teas/coffees in, and of course it comes out of the machine hot. Pouring it then into these cups that have the gel in the walls and have been frozen REALLY cuts down on the ice melt/ diluted beverage problem! Anyway, back to the gift, I know she has one of these, and I thought it might be nice to have an extra one, along with a coffee card of course! While out getting these items, I popped into TJ Maxx since I was also looking for an attractive-yet-functional dog food container, and in there I found this gorgeous gift bag for only 1.99! I decided to make the gift bag+coffee theme my jumping off point for the card.


This was another "quick and easy" card.... I seem to be on a roll with those lately! As well as with the use of scraps. Can you believe that background DP was in my scraps bin?? How PERFECTLY does it match  the gift bag?! :)


Anyway, cut a circle out of white card stock, and pulled out those same floral silhouette stamps that I seemingly can't get enough of these days! Also, my fave coffee related sentiment "you're the mocha latte in a world full of cheap machine coffee." I stamped that twice, as I wanted it to be readable once I layered the coffee cup image over it. I cut a coffee cup from another DP scrap with my "Warm Happiness" dies and stamps/PTI. Other than that, some bakers twine, fancy brads, and a new adhesive button (thank you WalMart dollar craft section for that sweet button!)


I think she liked it. :) I hope you do too. Remember next time you are looking for inspiration for colors and patterns, take a hint from some gift packaging, or even advertising, packaging, etc! You might really love what you end up with. :)

Have a stellar week!!! :) xoxo, Noelle

supply list: much is very old/unknown! But papers from MME/Stampin' Up!; stamps: PTI, gel-a-tins, Stampin' Up; adhesive button: WalMart; bakers twine: Jillibean Soup

2 comments:

Annette Allen said...

awesome...I totally love it...

Hope you enjoy your weekend...

Patrice said...

Love that coffee cup! I'd love for you to link up with me at 52 Card Pickup this week!

http://www.oldbackporch.com/2012/06/52-card-pickup-week-22.html