Home Design Work Recognitions For Sale About Me

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Kids That Tri Duathlon scrapbook LO (CQC140)



Hello, hello! Time for another weekly ColourQ challenge! We are fully in the groove of summer here, and this palette/inspiration photo are right up there with us! Have already had some summer chill time (playing in the yard, Slip n' Slide, watermelon, corn on the cob, friends, grilling, etc.) and some summer running around (trip to the zoo, plus planning more!).
cqc140



This next part is a personal anecdote, so if you want to skip ahead to the page LO deets, pass over this paragraph! :) You will never believe what I did over the weekend.... really (particularly if you know me!) you never will. My kids and friends have finally convinced me to dip my running shoe into the lap-pool of the triathlon world. And on Sunday, I participated in my first triathlon as part of a relay team. I was the swimmer, and shockingly enough, with only 9 days to get ready, our little team actually won first place in the relay!

I live in this very cool, highly active community which has been SO good for me, since I am really more of a "hole-up-in-the-house" kinda gal by nature. And, growing up, exercise was really a sore spot since I was really treated badly in gym class, etc. Not just the normal "last kid picked" stuff either, though that happened. I actually had some really nasty stuff happen to me as a kid surrounding gym class and sports.... But you just don't realize, until you REALLY start coming to terms with your issues, how much effect that can have on your activity level as an adult. Really, my inactivity stemmed from fear, and a deeply imbedded belief that I wasn't capable of being athletic. Long story short, I don't want to be afraid anymore! So, I've gotten good about working out, have been consistently for about 2 years. A few months ago, I asked a friend who's also a coach to help me with swimming. I really like swimming, but I have never taken a real lesson in my life. I didn't know how to do any stroke properly. Anyway, after a few lessons, it really started to click for me. And, I just can't get enough of that pool, chlorine, swim cap, and all. :) I think I may have found my niche. So, back to how this all came down, etc. My friend Donna said (about a week and a half before the triathlon is due to take place...) "I know! You can do the triathlon relay! Taryn (another friend) can do the biking, and we can maybe get Jennie to do the running!" Well, darn her, she knew I couldn't say no, because I KNEW that I could swim the distance in less than the allotted time. ;) So, baby steps for me. Would be great if I can work up to doing the whole race on my own next year. Baby steps.... :)

Anyway, back to the pages about my SON'S race last summer! I used the Cricut and the Cricut Craft Room loads on this page, and some different techniques, too! for the title block, I actually used the Cricut deep-cut blade to cut my own stamps. I had the stamp kit, and had only used it once before. I hadn't been really thrilled with the stamp the first time I tried.... I was cutting a fleur-de-lis at the time, and these stamps do tend to look sort of "fuzzy." The edges aren't clear, can you see on the word "tri?" Certainly nothing like rubber stamping. On THIS page, though, that "fuzzy look" was just the look I wanted, so it worked well! I wanted to stamp the "tri" in HUGE letters. I had used this cartridge before for some of Ian's other tri pages, and now I'm thinking that I will use this font for all his triathlon pages, it just lends itself really well to that. It would be nice if all his triathlon pages coordinated in some way. The cartridge is "DonJuan," it actually is the one that came with my old machine (Cricut Create), but if you like it, I'm sure you could scrounge it up on eBay. So, the letters are stamped with Cricut-cut stamps, and the "Kids that" and the "duathlon" are also done with the Cricut markers. I used the Craft Room software (free to download on Cricut.com) to get the placement of the writing just so. It's funny, I got a lot of these "toys" when I got my old machine a few years ago, and just hadn't used them much, maybe tried them once or twice, but I'm finding renewed joy in all these fun things with my new Expression. :) I also used the Craft Room software to "weld" all the little runners together (Sports Mania cartridge) to make the borders at the bottom of the pages.


Those little file folders are ANCIENT from my stash, and were the perfect colors! I rounded the corners on everything. I used several label stickers from a new Jillibean Soup sheet. Added a few clips, a few punched star embellishments that I made, and did my journaling. And the layout was all done! Hope you like it. :) And I hope you will come play with us at ColourQ this week! I'd love to see what you do with this fun, summer-inspired palette!


Well, the boys are home for summer, but I'm going to try and be "on" AMAP around here a few days a week. But, please be patient with me:)

lots of love, Noelle

supply list: cardstock: Bazzill & SU!; punches SU! (retired); Cricut Expression; Cricut markers; deep cut blade; Cricut stamp kit; DonJuan and Sports Mania cartridges; Cricut Craft Room; mini file folders: American Traditional Designs; clips: SU! and Target

DUST IT OFF!: Some old Cricut "toys" (stamp kit, markers) and old cartridges give this sporty page a fun look. Some very old mini file folders are the perfect colors and add a fun vibe to the page. :)

5 comments:

LeAnne said...

WOW! Good for you---an athlete I am not....no excuse, just never had a good role model growing up maybe? My sister got all the athletic genes....she just did a triathlon last year! ANYWAY, your pages are wonderful!

Patrice said...

Looks like a fun time - great layout!

Tracey McNeely said...

First off what a fantastic and inspirational story about you and your son Noelle. How proud you must feel across the board. Absolutely fun layout, I love all the elements you added to your pages.

Marybeth said...

Yea! Good for! Such a fun bright layout! Glad you are already enjoying your start to summer.

Silke Ledlow said...

Oh Noelle...I'm so proud of you and CONGRATS TO YOU AND YOUR TEAM!!! This is so awesome!!! I also applaud you for standing up for yourself....we just grow taller and stronger with this experiences! BIG HUGS ~Silke~