Home Design Work Recognitions For Sale About Me

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Gratitude (CQC109)

Hi all! I am in **LOVE** with these gorgeous rich tones for colourQ this week! Don't you love them, too? Here is my card, which I had so MUCH FUN making! :) I really felt like my Mojo came to visit for this card!! :)

















Here's the fabulously RICH palette for this week:





I love this Island Indigo shade and haven't used it much... The layout of the card came from last week's sketch at The Paper Players. I'm **embarrassed** to admit that I didn't follow that blog before.... and then there were some FABULOUS cards in the colourQ Gallery last week, all that used this awesome sketch. Check it!:
So, that was the jumping off point for this card. I loved that banner trailing down the side, so I had to make one :) 

I started off with the dry-embossed background in the houndstooth pattern. I used the Cherry Cobbler red for that main panel, and then I brayered and sponged the Soft Suede ink over the top. I matted that piece with a Soft Suede mat, and mounted both pieces onto a Island Indigo card base. For that strip with the sentiment, I heat embossed that "gratitude" stamp in white EP on an Island Indigo strip, and matted in with a Pumpkin Pie strip. Both pieces were distressed with one of those razor distresser thingys. 

Then I started on my banner. I cut a white strip to size, and then stamped it in the challenge colors with these stamps, which I often go-to for background stamping like this. When I was going through the box that holds my dies and embossing folders, looking for the houndstooth folder, I had spied this tree die which I hadn't used in ages and is just so very cute! :) So I decided I would layer the tree on top of the banner, and use buttons for the "leaves." 


I pulled buttons from all different containers and jars looking for just the right combo of colors and sizes/shapes. I didn't have any buttons in the Island Indigo color, so I used some clear buttons I have that have coordinating punches so you can back the buttons with paper or cardstock. I used glue dots to stick down my buttons after playing with the arrangement of them a bit. The final touch was two clear heart-shaped buttons under the sentiment that I stitched into place with orange baker's twine. Believe me, it was no easy feat stitching through 5 layers of cardstock! Even though I pierced the holes first, there's just no making 5 layers of cardstock and glue dots an easy match for a needle and twine! LOL! 

Well, that is all for me today! I hope you will come play these luscious colors over at colourQ this week! I'd love to see what you come up with! :)

hugs! Noelle









supply list: stamps: Inkadinkado & Autumn Leaves; embossing folder: Cuttlebug; tree die: My Favorite Things; buttons: Papertrey Ink, Stampin' Up!, reclaimed buttons; mini punches to cover buttons in paper: Stampin' Up!/EK Success; white embossing powder and heat gun; VersaMark inkpad; solid cardstock and ink in challenge colors: Stampin' Up! orange bakers twine: Jillibean Soup; square punch (for "tail" of banner): EK Success; edge distresser

DUST IT OFF!: That gratitude stamp is really REALLY old! From the same old set I pulled these stamps for the Halloween treat bags from last week! :)

8 comments:

Arielle H Gordon said...

Hey girl, this is just GORGEOUS! LOVE LOVE LOVE the embossing and buttons!
HUGS!

Sylvia said...

Fabulous card, Noelle! Your mojo is definitely cooking on this one! Love the buttons and all the embossing. Happy November!

Jen W. said...

I LOVE how you rocked these bold colours! And the tree with the button leaves is brilliant!

Gisela said...

Great idea using the tree and buttons, cute card.

MA-MI said...

I love the way you used these strong colours and the idea with tree and button leaves is brilliant!

LeroyLime said...

Your button tree is too cute, great job working with those difficult colors! :)

Sandra said...

I love the button tree! What a great idea. It's so cute!

Christina said...

You really embraced these rich colors, Noelle! Your button tree is simply fabulous, and I love that houndstooth texture in the background. Beautifully done!