Home Design Work Recognitions For Sale About Me

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pretty Patriotic Home Decor

Hi there!

Just wanted to share some goodies I've been working on for my 4th of July decorations! I saw this FABULOUS new K&Company line Americana. I'll tell ya, I bought three items from this line at Michaels, the mat pad, the chipbox letters, and the Grand Adhesion Medallions. Guess how much is left? Practically nothing! Not one scrap of paper or any of the medallions, all I've got left are some letters! LOL! It's just a great line, I love the mix of patterns in the mat pad so much, i'm trying to talk myself out of going back and buying the 12" pad! But really, wouldn't these papers be superb for scrapbooking the boys' activities? Yeah, I can talk myself into just about anything ;).

So, my first project (and the one I had in my head when buying the Americana stuff...) was this banner for the mantel in my family room. This was a REALLY simple project, and it did not require a lot of fancy tools, or even a banner die (though, if you read this blog often, you know I covet a banner die, I'd love to have one, but don't). Anyhoo.... Each "card" of this banner is simply one page of the mat pad matted in navy blue cardstock and then layered up with some punched pieces I punched out of leftover pieces. I layered the chipbox letters on top of that. For the bottom, "scalloped" border, each card has 3 punched circles taped to the back of the card at the bottom. I stuck the medallions on to accent and then tied the cards together with red ribbon, and voila! Truly CUTE banner (if I do say so myself) with minimal effort and very few tools (no dies, just 2 punches). Here's detail shots on a couple of the cards...








Ok, so project two was a last minute deal and born from scraps and leftovers from project one.... I saw this photo here on Pinterest, so cute! She made hers with confetti inside, there's a tutorial here. But I thought it would make a cute and simple decor project for above the sliding glass door in my kitchen. I hang other seasonal decor there at different times of year, so the cup hooks are a permanent fixture, but I have nothing "summery" to hang there. So, my "firecrackers" are really small, but these would be simple to make in any scale. This would be a great kid project, super simple, great use for leftover scraps and fun, too!


Ok, so, to make these. Cut out one 6" square and one 4 1/2" circle. Cut a slit in the circle all the way from the edge to the center of circle. Cut a tiny hole in the center of the circle. Put tape on one of the edges where you made your cut and wrap around on top of the other half to make a cone, adhere. Tie a knot in ribbon or twine making a hanging loop. Slip the loop through the hole you cut in the top. The knot should hold it in place.  Tape ribbon scraps along the bottom of the square piece, then make a cylinder with that piece. Tape top and bottom together on the underside of cone with scotch tape. Accent with punched pieces, or adhesive medallions. Very fun! :) 
Well, that is it for me today, I hope you're having a great week! The boys have tennis camp and triathlon training this week, so I feel like a chauffer! LOL, gotta love the summertime! 

xoxoxox, Noelle

supply list: all papers from K&Company, even the two "non-Americana" ones!; punches: EK Success; letters and medallions: K&Company; ribbon: Ribbon Boutique by Hobby Lobby, adhesive; bakers twine: Crate and Barrel                                                                                        


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your beautiful banner and the fire crackers are fun, too! Sylvia