Home Design Work Recognitions For Sale About Me

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Blingy/Gothy/Twilight-y Cross Card

Ok, I have to explain..... I know, I KNOW this is not the kind of card/style you are used to seeing from me. :)
But, I went to the Craft Fair this weekend to sell my wares, and while there, I bought these funky, fun blingy flip flops. I thought, what a fun challenge it would be to make a card like that. With "Twilight" being so huge right now, this dark, tattooed look is pretty popular. I thought it would be a fun challenge and VERY different from my "usual" style! Additionally, the Spotted Canary is doing a "bling" project for the month of June, so I'm going to submit this card for that. Here's the link, if you'd like to join in the fun.
http://www.spottedcanary.com/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=7060

Ok, here we go with technique on this one. The technique on the main, large panel of the card is called a "Inside Out Joseph's Coat" technique. Here's what I did. This main large piece actually started out charcoal gray, I stamped the flower bouquet on it in black. You can see the top of the bouquet sticking out from behind the Medallion image. Then I used my embossing buddy to cover the whole piece. You can also use cornstarch for this step if you dont have the powdery embossing buddy/bag. But make sure and do SOMETHING, otherwise the embossing powder will stick all over both images, and you dont want that. Next I stamped my Medallion stamp (current SU!) in the clear VersaMark Ink and heat embossed it with clear powder. Finally you brayer over the whole thing with multiple ink colors. I used a BRIGHT pink (on the dark gray it looked burgundy pretty quick), a red, and I tried a little of the burgundy ink too. After you brayer, be sure to wipe off the Medallion with tissues so you see the original color showing through there. If you look close at the big picture, you can still see flecks of the Basic Gray cardstock showing through in the upper right-hand corner, where my brayering is subtle. The rest of the card was pretty easy. The cross is heat embossed in silver on black, the "rock star" stamp is from last year's hostess SU! set called "A Little Somethin'" Some of those purpley pearls, some rhinestones complete the blingy look. :)
I'm going to link you up to another card I made a while ago with this technique here. This card is lighter & easier to see the layering. It's called "Vintage Valentine." http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1604544?&cat=500&ppuser=165203
Funny enough, that bouquet stamp from the first layer, is actually the oldest stamp I own. I used it on my wedding programs 14 years ago! It was well before I even got into scrapbooking or papercrafting & it's meaningful to me that I still have and use it! :) That's it for me, have a great day! Oh, and please follow my blog or leave a comment when you have time. I'd love to get to know you better!

You can purchase this card here

No comments: