Home Design Work Recognitions For Sale About Me

Monday, December 13, 2010

O Button Tannenbaum (Curtain Call 60)



Hello everyone!! I hope you all are doing well during this CRAZY, busy holiday season! Things have been truly mad around here, so INSANE! I really needed some "craft therapy" so I decided to treat myself to the challenge over at Stacey's Stamping Stage. The button tree idea had been festering for awhile now.... a while back I saw these DARLING button tree cards at My Little Stampin' Spot, and I kept thinking, "I should try that......" and THEN when I saw the inspiration photo at Stacey's, that's when I thought "aha! A button CHRISTMAS tree would be FABULOUS!" ;) Lemme give you some tips if you want to try this at home, especially the stitching them on part, which can be tricky. First I die cut my tree trunk with my cute new die from My Favorite Things. Then I took a scrap of Certainly Celery cardstock and cut it into a triangle with some ooooooolllllld shape edger scissors (oh, come on, you KNOW you've still got some stashed in a drawer somewhere too!) Then I picked out my buttons and fooled with the layout of them a little on the tree which I had taped down. Then I adhered each button down with a glue dot, and that step is important, even though it will gum your needle up a little. it would just be too hard to keep your layout otherwise. Then, I used a paper piercer and punched a little hole through each button hole. I laid down a paper piercing mat beforehand, but the backside of an old mousepad works just as well. Then I threaded my big needle with a long piece of my Crate and Barrel bakers' twine, (I'm doing my darndest to use up all 2300 feet!) lol, in all seriousness, I'm using it on my Christmas presents TOO! And I stitched through the holes I had pierced. It took a bit of time, but was SO much faster than if I hadn't used the glue dots or pirced the holes. Those two steps saved me loads of time when it came to the sewing.  To embellish the card, I used some MORE baker's twine, another button, a Christmas Tree brad I found in my stash, and my old fashioned labelmaker with some red tape.

I hope you are all having a fabulous holiday season and I hope I get to see at least SOME snow before Christmas! Where I live in CO we have always seen a few storms by now, but this year it has been oddly dry and warm! It was 65 degrees today, It is NOT beginning to look a lot like Christmas, or feel like it either, I'm afraid! 

Have a stellar week! xoxox, Noelle
Supply list: solid cardstock, SU!; colored buttons:SU!; other buttons-generic; baker's twine: Crate and Barrel, shape scissors: Fiskars; tree trunk die:MFT





4 comments:

Beebeebabs said...

Soooo cute thanks for sharing!!

Silke Ledlow said...

OMG...the tree is fabulous Noelle!!! I love this idea and I love the german sentiment too :)!!! Thank you for joining us again at the Curtain Call is week! Happy holidays ~S~

Christina said...

This is so fantastic, Noelle! What a cute way to use up some of those buttons! Love all of the baker's twine and the old fashioned label, too. Thanks for joining us at the Curtain Call!

Unknown said...

WOW!!!!! love all the different shapes and colors of buttons!!! absolutely gorgeous!!! Merry Christmas!